South Ocean Avenue
Building Address: 429 South Ocean Avenue
Section / Block / Lot: 17 / 4 / 17
Surveyor’s Name: Jackie Peu-Duvallon
Survey Date: January 2004
Building Type: House
Building Name: N/A
Date of Construction: ca. 1870
Architect: Not available.
No. of Floors: 2.5
Decorative Features: Fascia trim, spindle posts, exterior window mouldings, bay window
Siding Material(s): Wood shingle
Roof Style: Gable and eave-front gable end
Roofing Material(s): Asphalt shingle
Foundation: Brick, stone
Window Style(s): 1/1 double hung replacements, bay window
No. of Entrances and Placement: Two front doors on the east elevation.
Chimneys and Placement: One interior brick gable end chimney
Architectural Integrity: High. The over all appearance of this house is likely as it was fist constructed, except that windows and original roofing material has been replaced.
Architectural Style: Vernacular Late 19th Century Folk
This early folk house of the Victorian period has a square, symmetrical massing, and a one-story wing on its south elevation which creates an L-shaped plan. Two and a half stories high and three bays wide, this house is clad in yellow painted wood shingle. Its gable roofs are clad in asphalt shingle. The windows are one-over-one double hung replacements, and they are surrounded by dark red painted mouldings. The front door, which is tucked beneath the wrap around porch on the east façade, is also surrounded by a decorative moulding. The simple wrap around porch is supported by spindle posts. A gable projection in the porch roofline highlights the front doorway. The one story south wing features a bay window and an interior gable-end brick chimney.
This house dates from c. 1850. The house appears on an 1872 map of Patchogue as a property owned by G. Jennings. An 1888 map has the property owned by G. Odell, and an 1915 map of Patchogue as a property owned by Mrs. G. Odell.
Tax assessment cards, Incorporated Village of Patchogue Building Records.
Map of Patchogue, Town of Brookhaven, Suffolk County, 1872.
Plan of South Part Patchogue, 1888.
Part of Patchogue, 1915.
[ return to top ]