logo
Mission Programs and Services Artist Profiles Maritime Programs EventsHome
Newsletter Research Archive Membership Staff and Board Members ContactShop
Search the LI site South Shore Portal
 
 
Programs and Servces

 

Arts in Education

Surveys and Research

Historic Preservation

Honoring Traditions

 

Bay House

 

 

 

Historic Preservation

Bay Houses

Bay houses are small shacks that stand on the South Shore's marshlands in the Town of Hempstead that were originally built in the 1700 and 1800s by fishermen, baymen and duck hunters for shelter while they harvested clams, salt hay or went duck hunting. Through the years they have been passed down among their families.

During the 1940s - 1960s other residents built bay houses as weekend getaways; by 1965 there were over 200 bay houses. In 1965 the Town of Hempstead removed most of the bay houses in an effort to preserve the sensitive wetlands on which they stand.

As a result of research and subsequent publication of On The Bay, written by director Nancy Solomon, the Town decided to preserve the fragile structures for future generations. Today there are approximately 34 bay houses remaining. To educate visitors and residents Long Island Traditions conducts an annual bay house tour.

Bay House

 

© 2014, 2013-2001 Long Island Traditions